Learning new skills, habits or even a new perspective can be challenging for the untrained.
Yet when you go within and connect to our warrior spirit, we can harness the energy of the five great elements, and use this inner power to take on challenges with courage and strength. Using your energy to muster up your inner strength is just part of taking on a challenge, a strong and open mind is also required.
Here are 8 components necessary to learn like a master warrior.
- PRACTICE. When we practice a challenging skill, our brain is rewiring itself and forming new connections that make it easier the next time and each time after that. The act of repetition continues to trains our neural pathways associated with the skill, and after a period of constant practice, the skill will become automatic.
- DISCIPLINE. Consistency in our practice is key. Having a disciplined, focused and clear plan and then blocking time in our schedules so that we can take consist concentrated action is necessary for learning and developing.
- SKILLS DEVELOPMENT. Practicing techniques takes a lot of work. The successful people we see in the world didn’t just wake up and achieve instant success. Successful people such as artists, musicians, and elite athletes have all put in well over 10,000+ hours of mastering their skills. There are no short cuts, mastering your skills takes consistent practice and discipline.
- CREATIVITY. We are all creative beings with the ability to explore the unknown. Trying something new allows us to expand our perspective about a challenge and through creative expression we have the ability to develop new and inspiring ways forward.
- EFFORT. Maybe you have heard that someone is gifted or has natural talents, but the good news is, for you to grow and learn you don’t need natural talent. Where natural talent stops is where effort and hard work begins. When you make the efforts consistently you will surpass the talent mark. When we train, we train earnestly, with 100% effort.
- FAILURES. Failing is necessary to learn. So many great inventions in life came from failures. When we fail, we learn, and by being able to discover what didn’t work, it will get us closer to what can work. Albert Einstein says it best, “if you have never made a mistake, you have never tried anything new.” Trying new things is important in our growth and discovery in life. It’s only a mistake if we don’t learn the lesson.
- SELF REFLECTION. When we go within we can create a greater level of awareness of the challenge we are facing. This can allow for shifts of thoughts, feelings or behaviour choices in order to go forward and learn with an open mind.
- GROWTH MINDSET. To have a growth mindset a warrior encompasses all of the components above but also believes in themselves. An engaged warrior spirit requires an open mind and positive attitude in order to build our intellect, our inner strengths and skills. A growth mindset uses 100% effort and persistence and does not give up when challenges or motivation dwindles. With a growth mindset we use positive self talk to encourage and motivate ourselves to confront challenges head on. Willingly we take feedback, we have a passion to learn new things, and failures are just opportunities to be explored.
Someone that doesn’t have a growth mindset has a Fixed Mindset.
They have a fixed mindset because they don’t want to try, or put effort in or are avoiding the chance of failing. They may avoid a challenge because it might be too hard and they are not interested in putting in the work and discipline necessary to practice and hone their skills.
Master warriors are relentless, their determination keeps them advancing, and any failures just give them fuel to not give up and do what is necessary to continue to move forward in their pursuits. Below are some people who didn’t give up, and embodied the mindset of a master warrior.
By Kohai Dianne Hadad
3rd Degree Black Belt, Renge Dojo
Certified Professional Coach, SHINE, Family Wellness Club
SHINE Family Wellness Club
creates a space for all members of the family to interconnect, grow and share with like-minded spirited people seeking to elevate the family’s consciousness, build confidence and resilience so they can enjoy a harmonious and vibrant life journey together.
Kids/Juniors and teen workshops, parent group coaching, and one-on-one coaching available. Want to learn more, book a 30 minute complimentary discover call now at 647-203-4882 or reach out at email@example.com