Getting a Hand on our Emotions and Feelings
Most often we can experience the world through our emotions. Our emotions
we experience in our body, whereas feelings
we experience in our mind. Emotions are the physical reaction we have. Like when our face turns pink and blushes when we are embarrassed, or maybe tears squirt out of our eyes when we are sad. These are physical emotional reactions that happen to us.
The interesting thing about emotions is they usually only last for about 90 seconds and then they dissipate, but it is the feeling that takes over because our conscious mind gets involved and our mind tells us what to feel in that situation. Our mind has the power to keep those feelings around for a long time if we choose not to manage them. The benefit to our mind having this power over our feelings is that we have the power to control our feelings. Though it is not always so easy to do.
It is natural to experience a range of emotions and feelings, and sometimes they may cause us to feel overwhelmed and we need a reset. Below is an exercise that helps us regain our calm and harmony.
This exercise is an ancient Japanese Healing Energy Technique called Jin Shin Jyutsu.
The name Jin Shin Jyutsu (pronounced: jin shin jitsu)
‘Jin’ means ‘(compassionate, knowing) man’
‘Shin’ means ‘creator’
‘Jyutsu’ means ‘art’
When our emotions get stuck this technique can help release the emotion or feeling and restore our harmony and calm within.
Each finger represents an emotion or feeling, from worry, fear, anger, sadness and self-esteem.
For instance take the thumb, it symbolizes our worry. With our other hand wrap the fingers and thumb around our thumb and hold. You don’t need to squeeze it so tightly it hurts, just a hold and focus on it.
We will know when it is working when we feel a pulsating sensation. The sensation is a feeling of the blood and energy flowing, and it feels like the finger is beating. Ideally we hold a finger for 1-2 minutes each. This technique is useful to use on one finger or all of them.
Doing this technique will release:
- WORRY - The thumb helps fend off emotions like worry, it helps us feel present and releases the worry from our minds.
- FEAR - The index finger helps us fight our fears. Whether it is a fear of giving a presentation, or spiders, in a moment where we need courage - hold our pointy finger to restore calm.
- ANGER - The middle finger helps control feelings of anger and bitterness, this helps settle us down so we don’t blow our lid off! It helps us reset so we can “respond instead of react”.
- SADNESS - The ring finger aids in fighting sadness, it is natural to feel down and we can acknowledge when something has upset us. If we are feeling especially sad then take a moment and restore our balance and harmony by squeezing this finger. Don’t forget to breathe.
- SELF ESTEEM - The pinky is a bit different as it helps relieve our stress and boosts our self-esteem and shifts how we feel about ourselves. This is a great time to use our favourite affirmations here.
If you want to calm your mind slightly press in the centre of the palm with your thumb and hold at least 1 minute. This will help relieve stress and release negative thoughts, and create peace of mind.
The Jin Shin Jyutsu technique is excellent for children and adults and can be used to restore balance and peace within.
By Kohai Dianne Hadad
3rd Degree Black Belt, Renge Dojo
Certified Professional Coach, Warrior Spirit Circle
647-203-4882 | email@example.com
The WARRIOR SPIRIT CIRCLE creates conversations for kids, parents and martial artists to discover their true self and embody their warrior spirit. Our mission is to share the practical wisdom from the classical martial arts virtues and philosophies to inspirit resiliency, confidence and vibrancy.