The winter elixir to boost your immune system
As martial artists, preparation and daily practice are the keys to success. The same principle can be applied toward our health and wellbeing. We don’t just look to fight what our body is faced with, but instead, we look to be preventative for the future.
Fire Cider is just the key. It is a home brewed elixir that gives your body all it needs in one shot. Just like Goju, it’s efficient. This is an old school remedy known to boost a healthy digestive and immune system. The ingredients are those that anyone can find in their local supermarket. It’s hot, sweet, spicy, and gives you the ultimate shot of goodness.
The ingredient list is simple, and it is based around apple cider vinegar, turmeric, oranges, lemons, garlic ginger, hot peppers and horseradish.
When combined this is the ultimate anti-viral, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, pre-biotic immune support tonic
Gut health is the key. This is done through giving the body prebiotics. There is a big difference between pre-and probiotics. Probiotics are the live bacteria culture we add to the body. Prebiotics are what activates and grows the good bacteria that is in the system— it’s like a fertilizer for them. It turns on the engine and in doing so builds a healthy digestive system. From here anything is possible. Nutrients can be absorbed and distributed, and the immune system can thrive.
Making fire cider is easy. It needs to sit and be stored in the refrigerator for one month, cultivating and releasing all the nutrients possible. Then using a cheese cloth or thin strainer, drain out the liquid into a tight sealed container and drink away. Our family typically has a tablespoon in water first thing in the morning. If you have a cold or flu, then take as much as needed. If you’re brave, have a shot on its own.
Here are the healing properties of its ingredients;
- Raw Apple Cider Vinegar: It s a pure alkaline, aides in digestion, reduces heartburn and acidity, rich in vitamin c and detoxifies the body
- Fresh Horseradish: Helps the immune system, helps with respiratory disorders, urinary infections and is a great anti-fungal
- Ginger: Fires up the kidneys, aids in digestion and is an anti-inflammatory. Often used to help fight cold and flu
- Onions: Anti-inflammatory and aids cardiovascular health
- Garlic: Anti-viral and anti-fungal properties, immune support, aids with high blood pressure, cholesterol and assists with regulating blood sugars
- Habanero Peppers: Boosts the metabolism, sinus, and arthritis relief.
- Oranges: High source of vitamin C. Often a main component of a cancer fighting diet
- Lemons: Vitamin C, aids in digestion, immune support, anti-inflammatory
- Turmeric: Contains Curcumin and one of the most important overall additions to healthy living. Anti-viral, anti-fungal, fights cancer cells, anti- inflammatory, helps with arthritis symptoms, thyroid support and has been reported to reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s. When you combine turmeric with Ground Black Pepper, it radically increases curcumin and its healing properties.
- Raw or Manuka Honey: Honey can survive for hundreds of years, an antiviral, anti-fungal, soothes a sore throat, and full of vitamins and minerals.
And now for the actual recipe:
1 Jar raw apple cider vinegar
Fresh Ginger / one large chunk grated or chopped
4 Large cloves of garlic or 6 smaller cloves, chopped
Fresh or ground turmeric, mixed with lots of fresh ground black pepper
Horseradish- I large chunk of fresh grated
8 habanero peppers, chopped
1 large onion cut into chunks
4 tablespoons Manuka Honey
I mix everything equally into 3 to 4 mason jars. You can put everything into one large, sealed container. If you are doing so, try not to use metal lids as they can discolor being stored with these ingredients.
I prefer plastic lids with the mason jars
Let sit… then enjoy. Happy health for the winter and all year long!